Wednesday, April 15, 2009

What I Think About Lawyers


What I Think Of Lawyers

I have mixed feelings about lawyers. I think that some lawyers are in the business for the right reasons (to help people find justice, etc), and some are in the business for all the wrong reasons (strictly for the money, power, and an ego boost). A close friend of my family is a very good lawyer and he is in the business for the right reasons. He loves his job. He genuinely befriends almost all of his clients and he works really hard and tries his absolute best to win all of his cases. He doesn’t sugar-coat anything; he gets the straight facts and doesn’t ever attempt to twist the truth. Before I met him, I pretty much thought all lawyers were kind of stingy and just tried to get your money but he is honest and hard working so he kind of restored my faith in some of them.

I think lowly of the lawyers who advertise themselves on television. To me, it shows that they’re not good enough on their own unless they have major advertising and their personalities come off as desperate and kind of full of themselves. I also don’t really like defensive attorneys. I think they twist the facts around too much for the jury to defend guilty people just so they can win another case and get their money. I think they’re immoral especially if they know their client is guilty and they still try to defend them anyways. I don’t like how a certain person can have all the evidence in the world pointing towards them being guilty and how the lawyer can convince a jury that it still doesn’t prove the suspect’s guilt. I think those kinds of lawyers are talented for being able to do that, but I think it’s wrong.

1 comment:

  1. Sara, I have read your views on the way law is handled in the United States. I have to say that I agree with most of your ideas about how law is in America. Everybody knows that any system created by people will be flawed, but compared to a lot of countries in the world the United States does a good job enforcing and regulating the law. I do agree that most of the lawyers and people working in the system do want to do good work. The percentage of bad to good is leans a lot more towards the good. Most of the time injustice will be corrected. I have known people who have had bad experiences with the law and now they don’t trust it. But I think it’s wrong to judge a system by one bad experience. When the law works in some person’s favor they love it but as soon as it turns on them they despise it.

    ReplyDelete