Thursday, June 18, 2009

My Own Argument

My Own Argument
I do not agree with the majority vote on this case. I think that it suits people who don’t know how to lie for themselves and need lawyers to do it for them. If someone is given the Miranda Warning and still wants to confess to the crime they may have committed, I think that’s great and fine. But, if someone is too scared of the repercussions of their actions to admit what he or she had done, once given the warnings, they might back out of remotely even wanting to give a confession, and their case could end up never providing true justice to his or her wrongful action, whatever it may be. As said in Justice Harlan’s dissent, “We do know that some crimes cannot be solved without confessions” (http://www.landmarkcases.org/miranda/dissenting.html). It is true that some suspects might knowingly confess to committing whatever crime they are being accused of, but most often that is not what happens. I think that suspects shouldn’t have to be warned of self-incrimination. I believe in the saying that goes “those who have nothing to hide, hide nothing,” and an innocent suspect might say something questionable, but the truth comes out more times than not.

No comments:

Post a Comment